Why the world needs superman

Thursday, August 10, 2006

I can't think of titles anymore!

I told myself I wasn't going to write anything on here about the current events in my life - as I thought it would be too hard to do so. Plus - I didn't want to look back and read about it one day. Yesterday was the visitation for my dad - and I thought that I was just going to be a horrible mess - especially seeing my father for the first time since he passed. But I was fine. I don't understand why I was fine - but I was. The funerals I've been to this year we always commented on how strong the family was - but yesterday I realized its really not a strength thing - its just a numb feeling and you don't believe its real and you just talk to people about whatever. The most random things come to mind that usually make you laugh - or somehow are an inside joke between you and someone. I haven't slept though - I just have been in a daze so it doesn't seem like I haven't - but if I hadn't been watching the clock and talking to my mom the whole night I would have assumed I slept because time goes by way too quickly. We have to close the casket this morning - and I think thats going to be the hardest for me. My mom doesn't says she's not going to remember the funeral service and doesn't want to go to the cemetry but supposes she has too! hahaha. My cousins are the paul bearers - and one of them, Paul - the last time he was one was for my Opa (grandfather)'s funeral... my dad's dad, and I was too young to understand funerals at that time. But apparently at the cemetry he fell into the grave hole thing -- I'm at a loss of the terminology! -- so we were joking about him falling in later today - so my mom's going to say "Don't fall in Paul".
So many other things I Could write - but I don't think I can bring myself to do so.... I pray today goes well - I suppose as best as can be expected - I hope I don't fall a part - I don't want to ruin my make-up! hahahaha... I'm more worried about getting through it then actually being there! I'm tempted to bring my carebear but I don't want to have to deal with my brother Leo for doing so! Oh well.
I knew one day I'd have to say goodbye - but I sure didn't think it would be so soon - we thought he had a good ten years left --- but I suppose its better this way because if he had lived his dementia would have overcome him most likely completely - and we all would have suffered. This was just his way of going before he left us mentally all together. And I'll finish this post with what he said to my mom but a few days ago "Its not that I'm afraid of dying, its that I'm afraid of living".

5 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Paula, you were incredibly strong yesterday; and I know that despite the tough times that will surely come, you will get through, and so will your family. I love you very much and am always here for you. When you get really sad, have a nice glass of Irish Scotch for me. Or call me, if you can't find the Irish Scotch section in the LCBO.

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You seem like you'll do just fine.

My condolences.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Hey Paula, I echo Jen's words, you did fantastic yesterday, so well in fact that we are worried (as you say also) that tougher times may come when people aren't around to entertain and host, and when the feelings around the events leave you less numb. And so if those times come, please do try to make sure we're able to listen, laugh, and cry together. These are the things that make us earn the title of being your friend, and are gladly done. I can see why your family won the family of the year award, you have a fantastic family. I hope your mom knows how much we care, and that I'm really happy I was able to visit with her and granmda, Aunt Pat, Leo, Laura and all the others, despite the unfortunate circumstance. It was great to finally meet Polk-a-roo also. I hope we can get together again soon. Lots of love.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Paula said...

You guys have already earned the title of friend.... maybe not puke status - but I"m sure that can be arranged one day!
I'm not sure if you are referring to the rum giver or the non-rum giver when it comes to Polk-a-roo... but I'm glad you guys all finally got to meet too! Definitely not the way I wanted you to meet - but it was just meant to be that way. Jen you and I will definitely have to have some Irish Scotch together one day!!!
Thanks guys - love you to through the ocean (non-fish filled of course), around the mountains, over the tree tops and back.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Paula said...

Captain Bee (or anyone else who can answer this question) - I went to your blog in the hopes of figuring out who you are - but my attempt at that has failed. I have also noticed you have posted on Jen's blog - yet I still cannot place you. I appologize for my ignorance - but I would really appreciate knowing who you are!!! Since only Jen and Sharon post I always just assume they are the only ones who read mine. But thats cool that you did too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home