Why the world needs superman

Friday, July 21, 2006

A Brief Superman Family History

I received this link today - its quite humorous...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6805063692754011230
Thats definitely not Superman singing!

Have the family reunion this weekend... celebrating that 50 years ago the van Wijk family immigrated to Canada. My Opa would be the Superman on that adventure. Its funny, I don't know my fathers parents as my Oma died before I was born and my Opa died when I was a little girl - and even when we were alive at the same time, he suffered from Alzheimers. But the bare bones I do know about them - they seemed like incredible people. My Oma was German, and I beleive older than my Opa, who was Dutch. My Oma was sent away to work at like the age of 8 to help make money for her family. In her later years she became a cook, and was apparently extremely good at it - as she made meals often for royality and their guests! After marrying my Opa she lived in Holland where they raised their kids. During WWII they even hid some Jews...I'm pretty sure thats ok to say now! When the German soldiers came to the door - my Oma yelled at how insulted she was that a fellow German would accuse her of such blasphemy (even though she was competely guilty of what they accused her of - but they all would have been killed if she did not stand up to them and make them leave!).... go Oma! My Opa was an accountant. Also apparently very good at what he did. He wasn't around home very much as his kids were grewing up as he always had to be at the office or on the road. He ended up being the diplomat between the Netherlands and Canada - this is why the entire family was allowed to immigrate countries! Not only was my Opa a diplomat - but he also brought St. Willifords Credit Union to Canada - which means he probably wouldn't be too happy that I work for a different bank! eek! One day I'm going to walk into the S-W Credit Union and see if they know the history of the bank -- see if I can't get myself to be somehow automatically take over some of the higher management based on my last name! Its worth a shot! hahaha.
Well - in short - today, although I never met them, my Superman(s) are my Oma and Opa

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Jen said...

That is a family history to be proud of!

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

That is indeed an awesome family tree - sometimes I feel like Canadians we don't have enough of that 'homeland' sort of attachment or that we miss out on some of the rich cultures that are around us. I mean - I don't have a cultural dance or traditional dress, and the only thing that I think is purely Canadian is poutine - not much of a heritage.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home