Why the world needs superman

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Did people really not recognize Superman?

Today started off with a funeral - and then we had a partial family reunion type gathering for dinner. It was much different from last weeks official pre-planned for many years family reunion - but nonetheless it was people who were related to each other getting together. Another thing the two had in common though - once again people did not know who I was. At least this time most of the people knew I existed - but in the case of my mom's cousin Ellen, who I grew up adoring, she assumed that I must have been one of Steve's (my mom's brother) kids. This is an interesting thought since they almost 30 or already well into their 30s. BUT - the reasoning behind the case of mistaken identity was because of my so-called endowment. The McCoy family (that is my grandmother's maiden name) are not known for top heaviness, and my mother certainly adapted that trait! BUT - my Aunt Ann, Steve's wife, has often been referred to as a trophy wife as she resembles the beauty of a barbie doll - thus it was assumed I must be Steve's because of some of my body dimensions that may go along with that of a barbie doll. The last time I saw Ellen was three years ago at my grandpa's funeral. It was a funeral I thought a lot of today as I was back in the church where we had the religious ceremony in honor of his life. I've been back to this church multiple times since then - its the family church, my Nana lives beside it!!! My mom and dad got married there. I just haven't been back to that church for a funeral. My friend Phil's funeral earlier this year in January was probably the largest funeral I've ever seen (except for Princess Diana's via the television!). So many people came out to pay their respects that it was very moving. He was an incredible individual and touched many people's lives, more than those who were able to attend. The funeral I went to in February for my aunt, was much more low key. It was pretty much strictly family members and a few people she had met throughout the community. She was older in life though, and that was a contributing factor to the limited amount of people at her funeral. Which got me thinking at her funeral about how sad I would be if I couldn't fill a couple pews at my funeral. I've always feared that if I died young that my parents would eb the only ones who showed up. I definitely do not want to die along - but I also do not want to have lived a life that would not be missed by others - not because I want them to miss me, but I would like to know that I helped make a positive impact on their life. That definitely is something that Joe would never have to worry about. At his funeral today the curch was packed, an extra room was set up to hold people to watch the funeral via television.... thousands of people had come through for the visitation. He was a man who touched many people's lives, he will be mourned for many days to come, and there is an emptiness now felt in the community and the lives of his friends and family because he is no longer physically with us - however, his life, and now his death, still leaves a message of hope in the world. One that will carry on for generations I am sure. It was a nice tribute to him. I wish his family well.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

you needn't worry sweetness - you'll fill lots more than a few pews - on that very distant date.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home