Why the world needs superman

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

do you search for a soul with a flashlight?

I've had to do a lot of reflection lately.

Actually the whole semester through.

In my qualitative research course we have been taught the importance of reflexivity.  It is important to understand your role as a researcher and how that will affect a study.

I have also had to consider my position in certain group situations - acknowledge when something is worth battling for - recognizing when its ok to just step back and let things be.  On my first grade report card my teacher wrote that "Paula is a perfectionist.  She is still young, but it is clear that this is a trait she possesses.".. or something close to that effect.  I suppose I do like having control of a situation.  Well - not all situations - but when I have a vested interest - then I suppose that I do.

Today though - I had a reflection placed upon my plate that I may have guessed was coming eventually - but definitely was hoping would not come to be.  I had a meeting with my advisor today - one of the topics was courses for next semester.  I technically only need one more course to meet Ph.D. requirements - however, my advisor thinks that its always a good idea to take more classes.  Although I don't disagree - I am tired - which makes me wonder if I made the right decision to continue in school.  I think the reasoning behind me being tired however is that I have not had a break since Feb. 2006.  I have endured A LOT since then.  Unfortunately because of some situations in that time by masters took me right up until the time in which I had to move to london - actually - I still have some manuscripts hanging over my head!  Regardless - I believe, I truly believe that I'm suppose to be in London.  As challenging as the change has been for me - I do know that it is right.
I told my advisor I would like to take more courses that are actually of interest to me - as all my courses that "count" have been stats - and well he wants me to take another one or two next term (you can never have enough stats!... yippee!).  This began a conversation as to what courses would fit my likings.  My problem is that I'm interested in a variety of areas.  Thats a problem because well - I need to narrow my focus - this is essential for finding my place in academics, writing successful grants, and well... attaining employment!!!  This is the part that has my upset... overwhelmed.. I don't know how to narrow my interests - but I suppose that is because I actually don't know what I want to do.  I've emailed a few profs to ask where they see the field going - what jobs might be available.... but possibly ask them to give me the answer.  Obviously I can't allow that to happen - this is something I need to figure out on my own.  What do I want to do???  Although scary.... I suppose its exciting - I have the chance to maybe create a new realm - to be the "founder" of something great!  I can create the future rather than just be a follower.

oh me - oh my.... I'm tired.  I have lots of papers and assignments to do though so I should probably stop procrastinating and get my butt in gear!  vroom vroom.

3 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

great post p.

Don't feel that having a diversified interest is holding you back from specialization, even if thats what other people tell you. As someone who studied math and english, I can tell you first hand that if you want to be founder of something great you need to embrace all of your interests. A lot of people wont understand because they don't see the connection, but YOU are the connection, and thats what makes you YOU. Moreover, since you are original in having this connection you are more likely to come up with original work, original ideas.

Am I making any sense?

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

agreed - awesome post. I think you're doing awesome right now - things under control, recognizing what you want out, controlling what you can and relinquishing what you can't - I think it's awesome to be watching this part of your life... very exciting.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Jos said...

"but possibly ask them to give me the answer. Obviously I can't allow that to happen - this is something I need to figure out on my own. What do I want to do??? Although scary.... I suppose its exciting"


OH my dear do I hear you loud and clear...you're echoing my every thought each day...why can't someone just make this choice for me????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home