Why the world needs superman

Friday, September 19, 2008

Dr. to be lights kitchen on fire.

I survived my second week! Yes.
Monday was a bad day and I've discussed what I think is a good plan of action with my advisor - so hopefully it all works out.
I've been mainly do school work all week - so I haven't had the opportunity to hang out with such individuals as Sharon - cough cough - Sharon if you need anything please don't be afraid to call me!!! - and I'm now a good 95% unpacked. I would like to go and purchase a new shelving unit - I think that I definitely need a shelf that is strictly for university research projects (mainly my thesis information) as it is already an overwhelming amount and I can't make it be organized just laying in piles on my bedroom floor - I want it picked up and put away - thus I need to purchase a shelf.
Unfortunately my money hasn't come in yet - so I'm still sitting pretty - in addition - unlike Windsor who pays biweekly (and is currently on strike fyi) Western pays monthly - which I'm not a big fan of because that means you do have to manage your money more effectively - thankfully for the most part I'm good with this - but at the same time its just nicer knowing that you get a cheque every two weeks.
I have gone to the gym 5 times in the last two weeks. 3 times last week and twice this week. We (a few girls in my program and I) attend an aerobics class on Monday night - and I just love this class. I think it is fantastic. Two other times have been just in the cardio room and once we went to a 20-20-20 class which is 20 minutes aerobic, 20 minutes weights, 20 minutes abs. Not one of us liked that class- the instructors, who I am sure are very nice people - were not even convincing us they wanted to be there and definitely didn't inspire/encourage us to work out - so we didn't enjoy ourselves at all.
So I'm still surviving - and hoping there are more good days to come!

Oh wait!
I forgot -
I lit my kitchen on fire!
Oh I did.
Monday morning I made a pot of tea - and I brought a cup to school via a traveller. Tuesday morning I had planned to bring the remaining to class. I poured the tea into my plastic traveller and into the microwave for some heating up it went. I was getting ready for school at this time - so my plan had been to leave the kitchen until I heard the "ding ding ding" of the microwave informing me the time I inputted had elapsed. I don't recall why - but I decided to stay in the kitchen a few minutes. Thankfuly. About 10 seconds into my nuking of the tea - sparks were flying. Turns out my plastic traveller wasn't 100% plastic - it also contained hidden metal screws. Metal - a substance I know that doesn't belong in a microwave. After a few sparks there was a "poof"... and then there were flames. I stopped the microwave and put out the fire that was building - thankfully nothing was ruined (well the traveller may not be usuable - but the microwave is just fine!) except the smell... oh the smell... just horrid. I tried to clean up the smell as best I could - but unfortunately it still lingered when my roommate awoke later on - so much so that he thought there were wires on fire and started moving the appliances out from the wall to figure out where it was coming from --- hindsight says I should have left him a note! haha.
So yes - the Ph.D. student lit her kitchen on fire. Ok - not the kitchen but the traveller mug she put in the microwave that turned out to have metal components. But the story sounds better if I state the kitchen is on fire.

3 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I think you're brilliant and I love your wackiness, but,
1. Plastic (with or without metal!) should never go in a microwave, and,
2. Just make some new tea, tea bags are like, 30 cents, and,
3. You also shouldn't microwave water (or something mostly water, like tea). It tends to superheat and then 'erupt' and can cause really bad burns.

DUDE.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

listen to Jen getting all preachy - must be a med student thing ;) And... just for my info - microwave safe plastic tupperware shouldn't go in the microwave???

but seriously Paula -- just make new tea... you can even use the old bag - just new boiled water... from a kettle - with a fool-proof, child-friendly safety switch. Love ya!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Microwave safe just means that it won't melt in the microwave. A bunch of studies has shown that heating plastic causes it to leach toxic chemicals (into the food that you're about to eat). It is much, much better to transfer the food onto something glass or ceramic... I just don't want my friends developing weird diseases from misleading packaging :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home