Why the world needs superman

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

This is a passage that is in the book I am currently reading that I thought was very interesting and oh so true - and yet one that I can relate to myself as I often find myself lacking confidence....yet I should hold my head high as I am a good person, I have a lot to offer another individual - and I should be proud.

Iris: "I don't know how to improve my lot, unless it's to take a heavy Spanish veil and hige my ugly face from the good citizens of Haarlem"

The Master: "Self-mockery is an uglier thing than any human face, Iris. No one can pretend you are a pretty wench, but you are smart and you are kind. Don't betray those impulses in yourself. Don't belabor the lack of physical beauty, which in any case eventually flees those who have it, and makes them sad."

3 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I don't comment enough - but I wanted to say that I appreciate your sharing your thoughts... and encourage you to keep doing it.

I'm happy that you are doing some self-reflection, and was so purely proud of you 'workin it' - with the trifecta last weekend... it was awesome. I'm hoping it's a perspective that may replace the doubtful, less aggressive Paula.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Paula said...

It is something that I think that I will always struggle with - but because of such awesoem friends I think I'm able to incorporate more positive thoughts into my outlook when regarding myself - I shall probably remain my toughest critic - however beauty is something that belongs to that of the beholder - however, an oil painting upon a canvas has many beholders - and many stories to tell - its up to me to unravel which depictions I wish to expose - and to which levels - slowly the wall is brought down...

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

wow.... deep.

damnit now I forget why I came here, I wanted to post something.... argh.

I'll think of it again later.

In the meantime read my newest blog post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home