Why the world needs superman

Thursday, August 02, 2007

The good the bad and the ugly

I was able to drive down to Toronto for Saturday night. I first went to Sharon's place and dropped off my car and "stuff". I then hopped on a bus to the subway station and took the subway to the other end of the line. I've been on the subway tons of times before - but this was actually the first time by myself. I didn't have an ipod or music device, I didn't bring a book or magazine, and unlike most trips on the gotrain - no one left a newspaper on a nearby seat.
Yet - I was still entertained.
I people watched.
I watched little kids causing frustrations for their caregivers - but definitely creating entertainment for onlookers.
I watched people almost miss their stops.
I saw a group of people come towards the subway as it "dinged" meaning the doors were going to close - one girl jumped on thinking others would follow suit - and the girl right behind her totally tried to follow suit - and would have been successful in her attempt if the doors didn't shut.
So here was one girl from a group of like five or six on the subway laughing uncontrollably as her friends were still standing on the platform. Now if it were me - I'd just ride the subway to the destination -- this girl however just got off at the next stop - and the ending left to my imagination suggests that she just got on the next train that came along. But have no fear it wasn't like she was really separated from her friends - the moment she couldn't see them anymore from the panes of glass separating them - she sat down and started to text message them on her phone..... oh technology.
What I really enjoyed doing - because it was kind of like an experiment - but arguably a bit creepy... I would watch the people who would pass by on the platform (me in my seat) I'd make eye contact with one of them - and see how long they kept it. I wasn't moving - but they'd be walking and going behind poles and such - One guy ... who was really cute - but one again those stupid closed panes of glasses made our romance only a brief few moments long - we would obviously have text messaged each other - but sadly we had not previously met to exchange numbers - plus lets be honest - I probably would have given him my msn, or facebook contact before my phone number -- see technology again changes our modes of communication! hahaha
I also enjoyed trying to guess where people were going to sit when they got on the subway. I didn't sit in the most enjoyable seat on the way to Maggies' - and I had multiple opportunities to change my seat - for example to one that had a arm rest or wall to either side of me thus offering a false sense of security - but I stayed still.
Maggie's was a good time -- we went to a bar I'd never been too - and my roommate Ariana was able to meet up with us too! There were good stories, good laughs, good times.
The next day I hung out with Sharon for a bit - which was very enjoyable as always.
Thats the good
I don't really remember what I was going to say about the ba --- there was something I thought of this week that I was going to discuss - but apparently its not on the tip of my tongue - because currently thoughts of the ugly are taking over!
I have strange fears. Most people are not afraid of fish - at least not to the extent that they refuse to watch a cartoon movie about fish - but I do. I have a fear of car washes - but that relates back to the fish fear - because when I was younger and we went through them - those things that came over the car I thought were the arms of an octopus and sea urchins... etc... so I didn't like them and still don't. I have also had a fear of bridges. I've seen some horrible looking bridges - and I'm just fearful that one day I'm going to be on a bridge or even underneath and its going to crumble and fall.
Realistically I know that fish are not going to think my toes are worms and eat me. Realistically I know that there are no water creatures in the car wash that are trying to attack me. And Realistically I thought that if a bridge collapsed I'd have enough time to get to safety....but now, do to this story that happened in Minneapolis I'm not so sure any more.....

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/08/02/bridge_disaster_in_minneapolis/

3 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Mozz said...

I thought the post was going to be about Sergio Leone. Don't want to further acknowledge your fears, but I was at a cottage a few years back, and as I was climbing the steps out of the water, I felt something on my toe, so I flung my foot out thinking it was some sea weed or something, and it ended up being a fish! Didn't hurt though...

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Paula said...

no... you really should not have shared that with me! hahahaha

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Mozz said...

Like I said, it didn't hurt. Kind of gross though...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home