Why the world needs superman

Thursday, December 13, 2007

I'm going to Vegas baby!

I have had some very strange weeks lately.... I haven't been myself - very few people know that... actually I think less than five people even had the slightest clue that things were not ok. But... other people have had awesome things to celebrate - or they have had their own problems to deal with - so I just kept quiet about myself.... which is fine, because I don't think I really wanted to talk anyway.
There was a lot of build up towards yesterday though. My dad's birthday. Or at least an anniversary of the day upon my father was once born. Over the last year, anything that had to do with my father I had to be by my mother's side. I wasn't specifically asked to go home for this occassion so I decided to stay in Windsor and possibly have a day where I could maybe just deal with things. It didn't happen.... I cleaned, I took out my homework and placed it upon the table. I went shopping. I drank (after returning from shopping and parked the car for the reminder of the day and night). I've been the only one at the house for the week. The one roommate who use to be my closest friend in Windsor did stop by the house yesterday - but that was to actually move about 90% of her stuff out of the house and to her boyfriends place.... I thought it was a bit odd that she didn't notice my non-jolly self and the bottles of half drank white wine and half drank rum... especially since I'm not a drinker... but I had invited her out that night - so maybe she thought I was just pre-drinking - although she knos I don't typically do that either - and definitely not early in the night... oh well.
A few other girls from school - 3 actually - the ones I've been hanging out with a lot more than anyone else this year - which isn't a bad thing, I really enjoy these girls - I've learned a lot from them... came over and we went to a bar where we met up with a few others we had planned to meet there.
Now.... for those of you who know me... I don't give myself compliments.... and well, I'm not very good at believing/accepting ones I receive --- and its hard to believe that without brushing my hair.... and wearing all dirty laundry except for my panties.... I, yesterday, truly believed I looked pretty ... its true.
So....
A guy at the bar came over to our table at one point and asked if my name was Kelly - and started a conversation.... I couldn't decided if he really thought I looked like a girl named Kelly or if he was hitting on me - but I'm going to go with him hitting on me - because I actually looked pretty last night! hahahaha.... however, at one point, one of the other girls accidentally scared him off... it was actually quite funny and definitely a "you had to be there" moment... but I do tease her now that she scared off my potential future husband! hahahahaha.... oh well.. more fish in the sea...
This was all preluded the day before by finding out I didn't get NSERC... which totally sucked because I actually thought I had a good chance at it... oh well.... life goes on... and it did ... I survived my dad's birthday... and then today I found out that my paper got accepted and I get to go to Las Vegas and attend a conference being held at Cesear's Palace where they want me to present my research! Thats pretty freaking exciting since I've never been there before!!! So its not as nice as the thousands of dollars I would have got from receiving NSERC - but its a pretty good second place prize I think!

1 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Wooo!! Your name in print! That is awesome, and Las Vegas will be so much fun for you! YAY!!!

I actually originally typed las vegan... which reminded me to tell you that I did try the vegan brownie. The one I had was stale, and not very good except for the icing. Just like you said.

Anyway, big hugs to you and I can't wait to see you fairly soon :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home