Why the world needs superman

Friday, September 28, 2007

Johnny's proud.

Yesterday was an interesting day.
I woke up and got ready to head to London.
On the drive to London I heard a Johnny Cash song - I haven't listen to him since my dad's visitation. But I didn't turn the dial - rather I listened to it and took it as a sign that my father was with me and sending me good luck.
Good luck for what you ask?
I had a PhD interview and Western.
Upon driving to campus the parking lot I was going to park at was being reserved for a charity event - but as I turned the corner I saw a flash of black and red - I saw a pretty female walking down the road who I could not help but notice. I decided to honk my horn and pull over to the side of the road and take my chances she'd return the call. To my surprise she did. She approached slowly having no idea the driver of the car. She looked confused...and rightfully so - a stranger has beckoned her to stop along her path and seek who is inside. She took the risk - and obviously was pleasantly surprised when she saw that it was I sitting in the driver's seat. What are the random chances that I was going to run into Sharon, yes the Sharon on the side of the road? I didn't know she was in town - and she didn't know I was either. That is how two people know they are destined to be friends - when in life they have random meetings....as you see this was not our first, nor do I believe it will be the last. Some of my other favourite random Sharon-Paula runins --- First year undergrad... just finished writing Chemistry midterm - prof was going to post the marks less than an hour after writing. I was curious to know how I did. Sharon wanted to know the same as her two year old son was sick and she was unsure the next time she'd be able to come to town and make it to class. We sat in the hallway for about 20 minutes talking before the marks were posted. (I had previously recognized Sharon from Talon's 2nd bday in our Kin class, and from the first day of class in chem when she won a textbook... she did not know me, and even after this conversation it would turn out she wouldn't recall the runin! hahaha... but the next year she was in my kitchen through no effort of my own!). About two years ago while driving along the 401 heading in the Eastbound lanes...drove up along side Ms. Sabourin... yeah what are the odds of that one? hahaha
Anyway ---
I did run into a bunch of other people on campus throughout the day and evening - that was really nice - because I can't run into friends on Windsor campus! You need to have friends there for that to happen! hahahah.
I had a lovely dinner with John, went and saw Pat play a set with Adam and Irene, visited my friend from Windsor who is now doing his PhD at Western... and Tommy S and I had a few random bump-ins. Definitely didn't get to see a few faces I would have liked too - but my interview also went almost 5 hours long - that takes up a decent chunk of your day - especially when there is also the 2 our drive there and back...there goes 9 hours of the day!
Thats right - I said that I drove back to Windsor that day too.
Here's the funny part....on a different radio station - I heard Johnny Cash again. And what I was listening to ended with "Johnny would be proud"....I like to think that was my dad's way of telling me that he's proud... and even if its not - and it had nothing to do with my dad - I don't care - I'm going to think of it as that anyway.

4 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

Now THAT is an awesome Paula story... I am thrilled... and so very very pleased that you had such an awesome day, and things were all shining and good. And I'm certain it was your dad telling you he's proud of you... he's better at that now :)

Love you!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

that story left a tear in my eye.

also: call me paula!

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Paula said...

won't I get confused if I refer to you as Paula as well???

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

uh.... blog more please :)


miss u!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home