Why the world needs superman

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

just call me Professor van Wyk

Yesterday, for the very first time, I conducted an undergraduate course. The normal professor is currently in Banff, and thus asked if I would teach lecture in his place. Realizing that this was a great opportunity, I immediately agreed.
The day started off ok, I came to school in one piece. Once here I decided to use the facilities - but of course I failed to follow rule number one... i didn't check if there was toilet paper... and of course there wasn't any. Someone came in and blew their nose (I didn't ask them to pass the tp because they just blew their nose... ) so I waited until they left because this way a) I knew there was tp next door, and b) there was no one else in the room. So she left and I scurried over to the otherside to successfully complete my business. Next, I picked up the specialized tablet laptop I needed to teach lecture on main campus. I started to load the computer - but of course get the message "Fatal error, windows is now shutting down" ... uhoh... what now?... I let it shut down and while walking to main campus (10+ minute walk) I held the laptop and tried to boot it up again. By the time I got to the lecture hall we were ready to go! PHEW.
Class began - it went well... they were a bit too chatty and I had to get them to quiet down - but over all I think it went well!!! Or at least I hope that it did.
The thing that surprised me the most though - I wasn't nervous. I was sick to my stomach nervous last Thursday about my presentation in my grad class... but standing up in front of approximately 200 first year undergrads, presenting material I'm not overly familiar with, didn't get my stomach in knots at all... my mouth got dry, but I was also talking for over an hour straight (good thing I brought water!)
All-in-all I enjoyed it. So if anything it just gave me more encouragement to pursue a PhD.

4 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Woo! Good for you!

Also - the toilet stuff? TMI.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Yeah - I know its too much info - but at the same time - it was a part of the morning and who else better to share it with....

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jen said...

... but the whole world ;)

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Paula said...

yeah but I really don't think people other than you and Sharon, and possibly your mom from time to time actually read my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home