Why the world needs superman

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

procrastination is necessary for productivity

Some days I wonder (while I should be working and not mindlessly pondering the ways of the world, hoping my work will do itself), if I could even survive in the "real world". When I have an 8am class or schedule a meeting at that time, I manage to get out of bed and be at school on time. Its the days where I (conveniently) do not schedule anything before 3pm where I have an issue rolling out of bed at the time I set my alarm for.
So I question if I had a regular 9-5 job if it would become routine and I'd be able to go each day. If were able to do this, would I actually be productive during this 9-5 time slot - or would I have time to surf the web, play sudoku/solitaire/crosswords/etc..., go for coffee breaks (coffee breaks tend to increase rapidly during tim hortons roll of the rim to win season), walk around to see what everyone else is doing, etc... I think its an art to fill your day with things that you are constantly doing yet only manage to produce about 5 minutes of real work! MAYBE thats what a CEO does! hmmm......
On days when I don't have to go to school in the morning (ok, the days I choose not to go to scohol in the morning), I do sit in front of my computer... sometimes I actually do school work, but a 85% of the time also have the television on. I enjoy when the clock strikes noon. Channel 47 = Family Feud.
I take pride, and consider it a great accomplishment, when in the final round I get at least 3 of 5 number one answer! Which is actually 6 of 10 as a goal (sadly that is only 60% which is not a psasing grade in grad school) as I watch two episodes!
So when I have a meeting with my advisor and he asks me what work I've done this week - and I rapidly try to think of something to tell him that makes it seem like I was doing work - a little thought bubble really does appear over my head that says "I got 4 of the 5 number one answers yesterday in family feud - does that count as work?"

I have been lacking a lot of motivation lately - just haven't been able to convince myself to do much work - but last week I was actually RIDICULOUSLY productive (ok that may be in comparison to the baseline of nothing I created lately).. and this week, although a tad bit behind the productivity of last week I'm still doing pretty good - so YAH ME!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home