Why the world needs superman

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

a warm cup of tea and sugar

I think that the first funeral I ever attended was my Opa's (grandfather)...but at that age I didn't really understand what it meant when I person died.
In grade eight though I remember when my Uncle Ben suddenly passed. I wasn't allowed to go to the funeral because it was during a school day. My elementary school and the church were side by side and separated by a little linked fence... about the height of a 3rd or 4th grader. We were on recess and the church parking lot started filling with cars and my dad drove in with our van. I remember trying to get his attention because I didn't want to be at school any more I wanted to go to my uncle's funeral - but my dad didn't hear me. I was really emotionally distraught. My grade eight teacher tried to calm me down - but I was really upset.
The thing I remember most about Uncle Ben and Aunt Mona is being at their house for sleepovers and eating some cookies with warm tea and suger at the table. My aunt and I were in our pjs.
I just got the phone call saying that my Aunt Mona passed away in her sleep. So she went peacefully - which is good because she had been suffering from Alzheimer's. I had to call my mom in B.C. and let her know - its a good thing she's with my Aunt Betty and Uncle Derek though - so they can all have a good laugh or cry or memory sharing or whatever - I suggested some tea and sugar - in her honour as I assume they aren't going to get on a plane and fly to Whitby for Fridays activities.
The scary thing to me is that I was just thinking about my Uncle Ben's funeral yesterday and wondered how my Aunt Mona was doing - I guess I now know..... she's sleeping peacefully.... or maybe having a cup of warm tea and sugar with my Uncle Ben~!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home