Why the world needs superman

Saturday, May 09, 2009

Celebrate Life

If you are not single, recall moments in which you were.
Did you ever see an individual of the opposite sex and think - hmm - thats an interesting person... I wonder if one day we will end up dating, falling madly in love and getting married? I have. Doesn't usually go that way though - well at least the story has yet to be written. I have also become friends with several individuals that I never imagined I would - individuals who just seemed so cool and awesome that I thought there was no way they'd end up being my friend - but they have.

Have you ever said something - and had the best of all intentions upon the statement, and then ended up dreading those words? I haven't had that situation happen to me lot - and definitely not to any degree that left me full of guilt.

Thursday night was a really nice night. The air was warm, the sky was clear - spring was most definitely upon the citizens of the area - A local man in the small rural area where my mom now dwells has helped his parents run the local diner, and recently has taken it on as his own business. I have had many interactions with him and always thought he was really nice, hard working, a family man if you will (meaning family meant a lot to him although at the age of 30 he had yet to have his own). As I do not know many people in the area my mom dwells, he was one of the individuals that I had told myself that one day through our interactions maybe I'd see if he'd want to grab a beer or something. Thursday night he had hockey practice. He was discussing with the other cook at the restaurant if he should take his bike (motorcycle) or car to practice that night. She exclaimed that it was a beautiful night may as well get out and enjoy the bike.

I have thought to myself since his outing as to how this is possible. Every time Greg, my roommate, has gone to play hockey he has his huge bag of hockey stuff. I've carried it a time or two, ok, I carried his hockey sticks, he carried the bag, but nonetheless - its heavy - so there is no way you could have that on a bike - so I assume he was going with no equipment. That still makes me ponder.

Well... on this Thursday night at 11pm, someone ran a red light. The investigation is still open as to whether it was the lone female driver of a car, or my friend on the bike. I have never been a fan of motorcycles, but my friend Blake once took me for a ride, and I learned a lot and came to appreciate bikes in a different light. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is - if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident - chances are if you are on a bike - its not going to go well for you. Friday morning, after being rushed to the hospital my friend passed away.

I know how it has upset my family. Each of us knowing him, and his parents, for we saw them every week, almost. I cannot even begin to imagine the grief his family and much closer friends are going through. I've been through grief before - I've had to say my goodbyes many times before, but I'm simply at a loss on this one.

The thing that makes me smile though. My friend Sharon is having people over at her house, there are actually probably people arriving there as I type (which means I know I should get off the computer and get my butt there, but there have been a few things I've needed to take care of today at my mothers, so I'm running a bit behind).... I have several friends who were born in May. The idea is to have a bunch of people together to just celebrate. To celebrate birthdays. To celebrate the fact that Sharon kicked law schools butt. To celebrate being with friends and family. To celebrate mother's day for all the mother's in the crowd. To celebrate life.

I have not enjoyed my birthday. It is typically not a joyous occasion for me - but if I have learned anything in the last two days with this tragic tragic incident - is that birthdays are not about the fact that we are one year older - and get older each year - its not about age, or a number.... its about celebrating life.

You do not need a birthday as an excuse to celebrate.... just if you get a chance... stop, smell the roses.... do a silly dance as if no one is watching.... tell someone a joke, even if its not that funny.... just breathe, smile, and celebrate life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home